Gluten-in-Food Kit (2 tests)
Cat. No. A6012
Price includes UK VAT but does not include delivery charges (see detail below).
Fast (10-15 minutes) and easy to use rapid test that can be performed at home to check the gluten free status of your food.
The Imutest Gluten-in-Food Kit contains 2 tests to detect low levels of wheat gluten - down to around 20 ppm - in many gluten free foods and GF ingredients. Various kit sizes are available (see below).
Download the brochure for Imutest's Gluten-in-Food Kit which describes in pictures how to run the test which is available in 2 pack sizes (5 tests; and 10 tests).
Imutest's Gluten-in-Food test is ideal for powders/flours, GF mixes, fine crumbs, liquids/sauces etc, which need no further preparation as they should be well mixed already, and e.g. biscuits that are usually easily crushed.
If necessary though, food samples may need to be prepared e.g. by grinding/chopping etc to ensure that any gluten is evenly mixed in and ready for testing.
Gluten in the food sample is then dissolved using a highly effective extraction solution.
After the extraction mixture has settled a few drops are added to a Diluent Solution and mixed.
This solution is added to the Test Cassette and allowed to flow into the cassette; when it has drained through, the test area is wiped and the Visualisation solution added.
As this solution drains into the test cassette, a pattern of spots appears:
- One spot on the right hand side: NEGATIVE for gluten (less than 20ppm)
- Two spots in the test area: POSITIVE for gluten
To prepare and extract your food samples:
- If necessary, prepare your food sample so that it is very well mixed and ready for extraction and testing
- Using the one of the spoons provided, add the food sample to the yellow Extraction Solution; shake vigorously; allow to stand; shake again. (The use of gentle heat e.g. by dropping the tube into a cup of hot tap water can improve the extraction)
- Allow this mixture to settle, until a relatively clear layer appears between any froth at the top and settled food debris at the bottom of the tube.
- Using the pipette provided, add a few drops of this settled extract to the clear Diluent Liquid; mix well.
To test for gluten using the Gluten-in-Food test components:
- Add the diluted food sample (from above) to the Test Cassette well and allow it to flow into the cassette; when it has drained through, wipe the test area using the cotton wipe provided.
- Add the pink Visualisation solution to the test well and allow to drain into the card.
As this solution drains into the test card, a pattern of spots appears:
- One spot on the right hand side: NEGATIVE for gluten (less than about 20ppm)
- Two spots in the test area: POSITIVE for gluten
The extraction and testing process can be completed in about 10-15 minutes and can be done almost anywhere.
True gluten intolerance or Coeliac Disease (CD) affects 1% or more of the EC & US populations; it is caused when toxic proteins in cereal gluten damage the absorptive areas of the small intestine. CD manifests itself as e.g. intestinal pain, bloating and cramps, and in children as a failure to thrive. CD can only be reversed by strict adherence to a diet low in gluten.
Increasingly many people also perceive themselves to be food intolerant and may avoid wheat/gluten as a result. These phenomena have led to a rise in the availability of “gluten-free” food products but it may still be important to ensure that gluten levels in such products are low.
Codex Standard 118 and recent EC Regulations define “gluten free” foods for PARticular NUTritional use (PARNUTS) as containing less than 20 Parts Per Million (PPM or mg/kg). PARNUTS foods above 20 PPM but below 100 PPM must be labelled “very low gluten”.
Imutest's Gluten-in-Food kits are fast and sensitive tests for the presence of cereal gluten in food ingredients, finished products etc. The test is very simple to use and requires no additional equipment; it is designed for use in the food industry but is increasingly being used at home. One or two food samples can be tested within 10-15 minutes and gluten levels of around 20 parts per million (ppm) detected.
Unless instructed otherwise, we will ship to UK addresses by First Class post. The Special Delivery option guarantees delivery to 99% of the UK by 1.00pm the next working day.
Unless instructed otherwise, we will ship by regular Airmail for international deliveries, with delivery to virtually anywhere in the world within 10-14 days, but with no compensation for non-delivery and no traceability.
Therefore, if you would like a faster and traceable delivery, please select the Special Delivery option at checkout, and we will use either the Royal Mail's Airsure service which is available to 27 countries with delivery in 2-6 working days depending on the country, or their International Signed For service if you do not live in one of the 27 countries served by Airsure. Both of these services also offer compensation for non-delivery.
Prices for both UK and International deliveries are calculated automatically according to the following table:
Price of Kits Purchased